Thursday, July 24, 2008

How to be a good teacher?

Good teacher? Definition please..The teacher who inspires, efficient, helpful and informative. While searching for some reference for my classes, I found this interesting website : e-Learning in Malaysia by Zaid Ali Alsagoff a lecturer from UNITAR.
"If teachers or lecturers can answer these questions (below), they are on the way towards developing effective outcome-based approach and promoting a learning organization.

* What do I have to learn?
* Why do I have to learn it?
* What will I be doing while I am learning?
* Will it be interesting and useful?
* How will I know that I am learning what I should be learning?
* Will I have any say in what I learn?
* How will I be assessed?"


These are really basic questions that we sometimes overlook. Perhaps, if we are able to answer these questions to our students, they will be more eager to learn the stuff we are teaching/facilitating :)


Hopefully I can be one great teacher someday.. yes, someday..



Few tips from Zaid :
A FEW TIPS!

"Take your course seriously! Take course preparation seriously! Take learning seriously! Take asssessment seriously! Take your students seriously! But don't take yourself seriously!" - Zaid Ali Alsagoff

Better yet, have fun making fun of yourself during class, and make it a point that we all do mistakes. Anyway, the greatness of a lecturer or a leader is not whether he or she does a mistake (surely will!), but how he or she responds to it. If you are not doing any mistakes or failing once a while, you are perhaps not trying hard enough. Finally, celebrate students who ask you questions, even if you don't know the answer. Not only will they inspire you to learn and get a deeper understanding of the subject, they will also nurture you to become a better lecturer.

We all say funny things and ask stupid questions in our short life on this planet, but if we learn from them and move on we might just... :)

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy."
-Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."
-Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"
-H. M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
-Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
- Bill Gates, 1981

"If at first, the idea is not absurd, there is no hope for it."
- Albert Einstein

2 comments:

Maz Al Eidrus said...

you are a good teacher mate... atleast to me... dgn tunjukajarmu aku berjaya dapat A for my maths... thanks a lot...

Misako said...

hahaha.. I think it was two way, kan mate? You teach me alot .. not only in Maths.. but also about life..